Monday, January 7, 2008

Wouldn't Have It Any Other Way

Life can throw many curves and being able to adjust quickly is a necessity. Have you ever gotten tired of people saying "I don't know how you do it!" I am so sick of that phrase. Taking care of my children is a joy and taking care of Steve is a treasure.

Now you ask, who is Steve? He is my 23 year old step-son who was in a car accident 3-1/2 years ago, leaving him in a semi-comatose, semi-vegetative state and we care for him at home. There are a lot of you who take care of your love one's at home and can understand the multiple emotions one experiences everyday. Don't run away from these emotions, learn to let them flow and use them for building up new energy, beliefs, strengths.

I have learned a lot of ways to overcome issues of bed sores, feeding tubes, and giving more than just a sponge bath to Steve. Talking, laughing, crying, it is okay to do this with your love one. At least in Steve's case he does give a response to these activities in what I call his Rat Face. He puckers up his lips and looks like he is about to nibble away. Can any of you sing, at least carry a note? I can't but I sing anyway, and here comes that face, maybe that off note will help his brain connect to say "enough already". (My younger children cover their ears and leave the room begging me to turn on the radio.)

No, I wouldn't have it any other way, taking care of Steve isn't a chore or a burden. My younger children also keep me going and ensure life is never dull.